1. In the Headlines tab of the app add a home page or some other site section that contains headlines or site’s RSS feed using the ‘+’ button. You will see three options:
2. When the item is read and the screen is off hit the next button to add the article related to it to the Articles tab. On the headphones the next button is invoked by double clicking on the center button.
3. When reading of headline item(s) is completed, the app will proceed to read the article items that you have added in the previous step.
1. Invoke sharing of the link – in Safari it is done by pressing the Share button in the middle of the toolbar, in Twitter by performing tap and hold on the link.
2. If you use this function for the first time, additional steps are needed:
2a. In the first row where the apps are listed scroll to the right and tap on “More”.
2b. In the next screen ensure that the switch for Speech Central is set to ‘On’. You may also reorder Speech Central to appear closer to the top.
3. Tap on Speech Central in the first row of icons.
4. Tap on ‘Listen Now’.
5. The web page is added to the end of the Articles tab and read aloud.
1. When file is stored on the storage other than iCloud ensure that you have installed the required storage app from the App Store (e.g. Dropbox app).
2. In the Articles & Books tab tap the ‘+’ button and then ‘Books & Documents’ and then ‘Open File’
Follow the steps bellow (you may also read the official Apple support on this topic):
3. If you are using for the storage other than iCloud:
3a. Tap on the ‘Locations’ button at the top left of the screen (if you don’t see it you may need to press on the “Browse” tab at the bottom.
3b. If you are using the storage provider for the first time tap on ‘More’ (and if you don’t see it tap on the ‘Edit’ at the top right of the screen). Ensure that the switch for the storage that you want to use is set to ‘On’. If you have used the ‘Edit’ button, ensure to tap on the ‘Done’ button.
3c. Tap on the storage you want to use and then find and select the file that you want to import.
4. If you are using iCloud:
4a Tap on the ‘Browse’ tab at the bottom
4b. Navigate through the folders and tap on the file you want to open.
The language of the item is automatically detected based on its text. If the language is not properly detected it may be changed on the Item Info page. This page can be opened:
1. Go to the iPhone home screen.
2. Tap the ‘Settings’ icon
3. Find ‘Speech Central’ and click on it.
4. Tap on ‘Shuffle Voices’. If you prefer that the app switches voices between articles keep the setting as ‘On’ and remember that the app will use only high quality voices (as long as they are installed). If you want to use just one voice Tap on ‘Off’ (to read on how to change the default voice skip to 6).
5. Tap on ‘Voice Pitch’ if you want to customize it to some of the values (Extra low, Low, Medium, High, Extra high).
6. To add more voices or to customize the default voice (more detailed description available under 4) go back to the first screen of the Settings app and then to Accessibility > Spoken Content > Voices (before iOS 13 to General > Accessibility > Speech > Voices). Also tap on the language for which you want to manage the voices (e.g. ‘English’).
6a. To install new voices tap on the cloud sign to the right and the cloud should change to the play icon when the voice is installed. For some voices that have the arrow sign instead of the cloud tapping anywhere on the row will open the new page where you will see the list of available voices that were grouped under that option with the cloud sign on the right that is used to install them.
6b. To delete the voice first ensure that it is installed (you should see the play icon on the right and not the cloud or arrow) and then swipe over it to the left and click on the ‘Delete’ button that appears.
1. You must perform the action that can be invoked using Siri in the app. This is the list of actions that can be donated to Siri by performing them in the app:
– Paste from the Pasteboard
– Play all headlines
– Go to the previous item
– Go to the next item
– Go back 30 seconds
– Go forward 30 seconds
– Go to the previous chapter
– Go to the next chapter
– Go to the previous sentence
– Go to the next sentence
– Go to the previous paragraph
– Go to the next paragraph
– Go to the previous title
– Go to the next title
– Go to the previous bookmark
– Go to the next bookmark
– Toggle bookmark
– Spell the current sentence
– Change the speed ratio
– Add article linked to the current paragraph
– Add article linked to the previous paragraph
2. Go to the system Settings > Search & Siri > All Shortcuts, find in the list Speech Central and in its item find the activity that you have performed in the previous step (if you don’t see it you might need to press the ‘See All’ button. Press the ‘+’ button and press the red button to record your voice phrase that you would like to use to invoke the action and press the the ‘Done’ button.